- Redness, lesions, swelling or spots on your baby’s bottom, thighs and genitals.
- The rash may also be hot to the touch.
- Your baby’s behaviour might seem more troubled – they may cry when touched or washed, and wake frequently in the night because of discomfort.
Treatment and prevention are very similar when it comes to nappy rash – both involve following some simple hygiene recommendations, such as changing your baby’s nappy whenever it’s soiled, giving your baby nappy free time, [2a] and using gentle products that are specially developed for your baby’s delicate skin. Regularly using a nappy rash ointment such as Bepanthen Ointment will help your baby recover from nappy rash.
- Change your child's nappy five to seven times a day.
- Make sure you’re using the right nappy size. If it’s too tight, it can cause irritation. Test the nappy with your finger: it should fit easily between the skin and the nappy cuffs.
- Let air get to your baby’s bottom as often as possible. For example, let him go nappy-free during winding.
- When you go out, remember to take a clean nappy with you, so your child doesn’t sit in a soiled one for too long.
- Always clean your baby's bottom from front to back.
- It is essential that their skin is always clean, but a daily bath isn’t recommended, as it dries out the skin.
- Do not use talcum powder – when it’s wet, small grains clump together and cause irritation.
- Use clean, lukewarm water when washing your baby. Soap can irritate the skin.
- After cleaning, allow your baby’s bottom to dry in the open air for a few minutes.
- Avoid perfumed toiletries or wipes.
- Use Bepanthen Ointment at every nappy change to protect against nappy rash. Lightly massage the ointment into the bottom to reinforce the skin’s natural barrier and help stop the chemicals in urine and faeces from irritating the skin.
Our Bepanthen Ointment contains the active proven ingredients pro-vitamin B5 and lanolin, which form a transparent protective barrier on the skin, promoting the natural healing process, letting the skin breathe and preventing it from drying out. The ointment’s creamy texture is non-sticky, easy to clean, and can be applied effortlessly. It’s also free from fragrances, colorants, parabens and other preservatives that may irritate your baby’s delicate skin.